Orthopedics, Spectrum Health West Michigan
BHSH Spectrum Health West Michigan Breaks Ground on Innovative Orthopedic and Performance Center
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., Sept. 27, 2022 – BHSH Spectrum Health West Michigan breaks ground today on its state-of-the-art Orthopedic Health & Performance Center, a 117,000 square foot building and adjacent grounds that will be home to advanced orthopedic care, an ambulatory surgery center, physical and occupational therapy, performance training spaces, orthopedic urgent care and more.
Located at 2770 East Beltline Ave. NE in Grand Rapids Township, the Orthopedic Health & Performance Center will include:
- BHSH System’s first free-standing ambulatory surgery center (ASC), a joint venture with Arizona-based Atlas Healthcare Partners and orthopedic surgeons to deliver outpatient orthopedic surgical care in a convenient and cost-effective setting.
- Patient access to more than 60 orthopedic specialists, imaging capabilities, image-guided treatment and an orthopedic urgent care center.
- An indoor training area, basketball court, turf areas and a motion analysis lab so athletes can move beyond physical rehabilitation to individual and team training and improvement with a focus on injury prevention.
- Technology driven programming to help athletes of all ages perform at their peak and prevent injury.
- Research and education for the next generation of orthopedic providers.
“This facility will be the culmination of years of planning across all of our orthopedic disciplines, including joint care, trauma and sports medicine,” said Spectrum Health West Michigan President Darryl Elmouchi, MD. “We already provide excellent orthopedic care and now we will have facilities to match, all in one convenient location.”
The Orthopedic Health & Performance Center is slated to open in 2024 adjacent to the Spectrum Health Integrated Care Campus – East Beltline.
“This will be a special place of healing and mobility. In addition to treating injuries and disease, we will focus on prevention and performance optimization. Our goal will be to help people function at their very best. We are excited to offer this incredible resource to meet the needs of the community,” said Jason Slaikeu, MD, vice president and department chief for orthopedic health, Spectrum Health West Michigan.
The new facility was designed by HKS Architecture and Hammes Company and will be built by Whiting Turner Construction. It also was made possible by support from the Grand Rapids Township Board and Grand Rapids Township Planning Commission.
About BHSH Spectrum Health West Michigan
People are at the heart of everything we do, and the inspiration for our long and continuing legacy of strong community partnerships, philanthropy and transparency. Our award-winning team improves health, inspires hope and saves lives across 13 counties in West Michigan. We bring together 11 hospitals—including Spectrum Health Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital, with expert care from 350+ pediatric specialists in 70+ specialties and programs—three rehabilitation and nursing centers, 120 outpatient sites and telehealth services. We are proud to work with 4,000 physicians and advanced practice providers, including Spectrum Health Medical Group, one of the largest and most comprehensive multispecialty physician groups in West Michigan.
# # #