Awards, Corewell Health System
Corewell Health Named a Leading Inclusion Index Company
Recognized nationally as one of 38 organizations as leader in creating inclusive workplace
November 20, 2023
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., Nov. 20, 2023 – Corewell Health™ was named to professional services and research firm Seramount’s 2023 Inclusion Index. The recognition measures three key areas of an organization: best practices in the recruitment, retention and advancement of people from historically marginalized groups—women, racial/ethnic groups, people with disabilities and LGBTQIA+ people; inclusive company culture; and demographic diversity.
Corewell Health was among the 38 organizations recognized as a Leading Inclusion Index Company. This is the second year the organization joins the ranking on the Inclusion Index and Corewell Health’s first year being additionally recognized as a Leading Inclusion Index Company.
“This recognition is validation that the work we do every day to create a culture of diversity, equity, inclusion and sustainability is making a difference,” said Carlos Cubia, chief inclusion, equity, diversity and sustainability executive at Corewell Health. “Our commitment to support, promote and develop a diverse and inclusive culture for all is only growing stronger.”
Corewell Health’s continued efforts to support an inclusive workplace spotlight a purposeful focus on recruiting a representative workforce, increasing diversity of BIPOC team members in leadership, mandatory diverse interview panels. The organization has also made impactful commitments to help monitor and guide health equity initiatives by forming a system-wide health equity council and a health equity committee supporting Corewell Health board of directors. In 2023, Corewell Health expanded health equity funding by an additional 40%— totaling $100 million over the next 10 years. The organization has also made a commitment to double the spend in supplier diversity efforts by 2024, supporting women and historically marginalized groups in businesses within the community.
The 2023 index includes 155 organizations and provides metrics needed to understand trends and opportunities in demographic representation, creates a road map to drive internal change, and identifies diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) solutions to close any gaps. Recognition categories range from Pinnacle Inclusion Index, Leading Inclusion Index and overall, Inclusion Index. The Inclusion Index shows opportunities for organizations to target their diversity and inclusion efforts for greater effectiveness.
Some of Corewell Health’s inclusive work efforts include:
- Increasing system awareness and participation among Corewell Health’s eight business resource groups, which focus on a commitment to achieving and sustaining a diverse and inclusive culture that fosters respect among team members, and improves the care and services provided to patients, health plan members and communities.
- Offering leadership and ongoing career development programs, training and scholarship opportunities available to all Corewell Health team members.
- Establishing unconscious bias training and cultural education offerings for all team members, as well as an anti-bias response team to assist team members, patients and visitors who encounter incidents of bias or discrimination.
- Conducting a comprehensive review of Corewell Health organizational policies and procedures, with a lens of being more inclusive and making team members a priority.
- Designating Martin Luther King Jr. Day as a paid holiday for team members.
- Launching an enhanced digital patient experience for identifying safe and affirming care physicians and services, as well as developing a patient liaison role to support the unique needs of navigating complex health care for LGBTQIA+ patients.
- Introducing a “Healthier Communities: Connecting everyone to a healthier life” campaign to advance health equity with the people, neighborhoods, and regions Corewell Health serves with purposeful programs, community partnerships and raising awareness of systemic issues keeping community members from achieving their best health.
To learn more about Corewell Health’s commitment to continued advancement and excellence, visit corewellhealth.org.
About Corewell Health™
People are at the heart of everything we do, and the inspiration for our legacy of outstanding outcomes, innovation, strong community partnerships, philanthropy and transparency. Corewell Health is a not-for-profit health system that provides health care and coverage with an exceptional team of 60,000+ dedicated people—including more than 11,500 physicians and advanced practice providers and more than 15,000 nurses providing care and services in 21 hospitals, 300+ outpatient locations and several post-acute facilities—and Priority Health, a provider-sponsored health plan serving more than 1.3 million members. Through experience and collaboration, we are reimagining a better, more equitable model of health and wellness. For more information, visit corewellhealth.org.