Gerber Memorial Hospital
Gerber Memorial Now Offers 3-D Mammography – A Better Way to Detect Early Breast Cancer
FREMONT, Mich., October 7, 2015. Spectrum Health Gerber Memorial is pleased to announce the addition of ‘Tomosynthesis’ to our Betty Ford Breast Care Services Department.
Tomosynthesis (toe-mo-sin-the-sis) is commonly referred to as 3-D mammography. Through 3-D imaging, multiple images are acquired from different angles during a single exposure, allowing radiologists to see around overlapping structures.
At this time, certain requirements need to be met before a patient is deemed eligible for a 3-D mammogram, so it is important to discuss this technology with your doctor.
The advantages of having tomosynthesis are to:
- Help discover cancer at earlier stages than traditional mammography
- Help reduce the need for patients to be recalled for further imaging
- Help reduce the number of ‘false-positives’
Our services also include:
- Digital screening and diagnostic mammography
- Breast ultrasound and biopsy
- Computer-aided detection (CAD)
- Breast MRI (1.5T)
- Ultrasound-guided cyst aspiration
- Stereotactic breast biopsy
- Mammography, stereotactic and ultrasound-guided pre-surgical needle localization
- Lymphatic mapping with lymphoscintigraphy
We are proud to honor Betty Ford’s legacy by being able to offer highly advanced imaging technologies, prompt results and compassionate, skilled care from the region’s leading experts.
Spectrum Health Gerber Memorial, in Fremont, Michigan, is a 25-bed Critical Access Hospital that serves all of Newaygo County. The hospital has a 24-hour emergency department, regional cancer care center, intensive care unit, birth center with labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum in one room. Gerber Memorial also offers a full range of diagnostic imaging services, including a 128-slice CT, MRI, and Betty Ford Breast Care Services utilizing digital 3-D mammography equipment. Additional services include Gerber Home Care home health services, Tamarac, which also houses The Skincare Center and Spa at Tamarac.