Spectrum Health Begins Flu Vaccine Push
Flu season is approaching and Spectrum Health is offering area residents options for obtaining a flu vaccination.
Over 100 mobile clinics will be offered by the Spectrum Health Visiting Nurses Association (VNA). Those needing more flexible hours can visit any of Spectrum Health’s five Urgent Care Centers, which are open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week.
The cost for this year’s flu vaccine is $25 and a pneumonia vaccine is $40. Cash and checks are accepted forms of payment at VNA clinics but credit cards also can be used at Urgent Care Centers. All locations can bill a number of insurance programs.
VNA also can provide a flu mist inhaler for $30. Preservative-free flu injections are available through VNA for all ages at all of their locations, but must be scheduled by appointment by calling 486-3050.
For more information, please call (616) 486-3939 or visit the flu vaccine pages on the Spectrum Health web site at www.spectrum-health.org/flu.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, flu vaccinations are recommended for the following populations:
1. People at high risk for complications from the flu, including:
- Children aged 6 months – 5 years
- Pregnant women
- People 50 years of age and older
- People of any age with certain chronic medical conditions
- People who live in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities
2. People who live with or care for those at high risk for complications from flu, including:
- Household contacts of persons at high risk for complications from the flu
- Household contacts and out-of-home caregivers of children less than 6 months of age, as these children are too young to be vaccinated
- Health care workers
Spectrum Health is a not-for-profit health system in West Michigan that offers a full continuum of care through its seven hospitals, more than 140 service sites and 565,000-member health plan, Priority Health. Spectrum Health’s 13,000 employees, 1,400 medical staff members and 2,000 volunteers are committed to delivering the highest quality care to those in medical need. The organization provided more than $100 million in community benefit during its 2006 fiscal year. Spectrum Health has earned more than 50 national awards during the past 10 years.