Awards, Spectrum Health System
Spectrum Health Hospitals Nationally Recognized for Quality
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., October 18, 2017 – Spectrum Health hospitals have been recognized nationally for providing exceptional quality care for their patients.
Healthgrades, a leading online consumer resource, evaluated nearly 4,500 hospitals nationwide for 34 of the most common inpatient procedures and conditions.* Healthgrades identified the top-performing hospitals across all conditions or procedures evaluated within cardiac, pulmonary, gastrointestinal care, general surgery, vascular surgery and critical care.
Spectrum Health Butterworth and Blodgett hospitals were recognized as America’s 100 Best™ Hospitals for Critical Care for the sixth consecutive year (2013-2018), America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Care, General Surgery and Gastrointestinal Care for the fifth year in a row (2014-2018), and America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Coronary Intervention for the fourth year in a row (2015-2018).
“We believe that our role as a health system is to provide access to the highest quality services and to build strong partnerships that significantly improve the health and well-being of the communities we serve,” said Seth Wolk, MD, MHSA, System Chief Medical Officer, Spectrum Health. “We do that by listening to our patients, identifying their needs, working with them to address their concerns – all to ensure that we have more than earned the confidence they place in our entire health system. Our focus on quality at Spectrum Health goes beyond our clinical spaces and into supporting healthy lifestyles and environments, for example, through our award-winning Healthier Communities program.”
Healthgrades recognizes a hospital’s quality achievements for cohort-specific performance, specialty area performance and overall clinical quality. Individual procedure or condition cohorts are designated as 5-star (statistically significantly better than expected), 3-star (not statistically different from expected) and 1-star (statistically significantly worse than expected) categories. The complete Healthgrades 2018 Report to the Nation and detailed study methodology can be found at www.healthgrades.com/quality.
In addition to recognition for cardiovascular care, the Grand Rapids hospitals achieved:
- Cardiac Care Excellence Award (2014-2018)
- Cardiac Surgery Excellence Award (2011-2018)
- Coronary Intervention Excellence Award (2015-2018)
- Joint Replacement Excellence Award (2016-2018)
- Pulmonary Care Excellence Award (2012-2018)
- Stroke Care Excellence Award (2013-2018)
- Top 5% – Overall Cardiology Services (2017-2018)
- Top 5 % – Overall Cardiac Services(2015-2018)
- Top 5% – Coronary Interventional Procedures (2015-2018)
- Top 5% – Critical Care (2013-2018)
- Top 5% – Joint Replacement (2017-2018)
- Top 5% – Overall GI Services (2014-2018)
- Top 5% – General Surgery – (2014-2018)
- Top 5% – GI Medical Treatment (2016-2018)
- Five-Star – Coronary Bypass Surgery (2008-2018)
- Five-Star – Coronary Interventional Procedures (2014-2018)
- Five-Star – Treatment of Heart Attack (2015-2018)
- Five-Star – Total Hip Replacement (2017-2018)
- Five-Star – Total Knee Replacement (2015-2018)
- Five-Star – Small Intestine Surgeries (2017-2018)
- Five-Star – Treatment of Diabetic Emergencies (2017-2018)
- Five-Star – Treatment of Stroke (2010-2018)
- Five-Star – Treatment of Pneumonia (2006-2018)
- Five-Star – Esophageal/Stomach Surgeries (2015-2018)
- Five-Star – Colorectal Surgeries (2014-2018)
- Five-Star – Treatment of GI Bleed (2013-2018)
- Five-Star – Treatment of Bowel Obstruction (2016-2018)
- Five-Star – Treatment of Sepsis (2010-2018)
- Five-Star – Treatment of Respiratory Failure (2013-2018)
Other Spectrum Health hospitals also received recognition from Healthgrades in 2018.
- Five-Star – Treatment of Sepsis (2014-2018)
- Five-Star – Treatment of Respiratory Failure
- Five-Star – Treatment of Sepsis (2016-2018)
- Five-Star – Total Knee Replacement (2016-2018)
- Patient Safety Excellence Award (2016-2017)
- Five-Star – Treatment of Stroke Care (2017-2018)
- Five-Star – Treatment of Pneumonia
- 2017 Outstanding Patient Experience Award
- Five-Star – Treatment of Sepsis
- 2017 Outstanding Patient Experience Award
- Five-Star – Treatment of Pneumonia (2016-2018)
- Five-Star – Treatment of Sepsis (2012-2018)
- Five- Star – Treatment of Respiratory Failure (2017-2018)
- Five-Star – Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Outstanding Patient Experience Award (2009-2017)
- Top 5% – Outstanding Patient Experience (2009-2017)
- Five-Star – Total Knee Replacement (2017-2018)
- Five-Star – Total Hip Replacement
- Five-Star – Treatment of Pneumonia (2015-2018)
- Five-Star – Treatment of Heart Failure (2017-2018)
- Five-Star – Treatment of Sepsis (2008-2018)
All of Spectrum Health’s Healthgrades hospital achievements can be searched at http://www.healthgrades.com.
*For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately three years (2014-2016) of Medicare inpatient records for nearly 4,500 short-term acute care hospitals nationwide, assessing hospital performance relative to each of 32 common conditions and procedures, as well as an evaluation of comparative outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 17 states.
Spectrum Health is a not-for-profit health system that provides care and coverage, comprising 31,000+ team members, 14 hospitals (including Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital), a robust network of care facilities, teams of nationally recognized doctors and providers, and the nation’s third-largest provider-sponsored health plan, Priority Health, currently serving over 1 million members across the state of Michigan. People are at the heart of everything we do. Locally governed and headquartered in Grand Rapids, Michigan, we are focused on our mission: to improve health, inspire hope and save lives. Spectrum Health has a legacy of strong community partnerships, philanthropy and transparency. Through experience, innovation and collaboration, we are reimagining a better, more equitable model of health and wellness.