Spectrum Health’s Tina Freese Decker Named One of Top 25 COOs in Healthcare 2018
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., May 9, 2018 – The editors of Modern Healthcare have named Tina Freese Decker, Spectrum Health’s executive vice president and chief operating officer, to the 2018 list of the Top 25 COOs in the health care industry.
Modern Healthcare magazine is the industry’s leading source of health care business and policy news, research and information, and is ranked No. 1 in readership among health care executives.
An article published in the magazine Monday, May 7, notes: “As the pace of mergers, acquisitions and overall disruption continues to accelerate, the role of chief operating officer has never been more critical. Leaders included in Modern Healthcare’s 2018 list of the Top 25 COOs deftly maneuvered their organizations through change facing the industry.”
The COOs nominated for this award come from any sector of the health care industry, from all sizes of hospitals, healthcare systems and other healthcare organizations. Nominees must have been in the COO position for at least a full year as of the date of their nomination.
“Tina is respected for her forward-thinking innovation, business acumen, strong execution and seamless collaboration,” said Richard C. Breon, President & CEO, Spectrum Health. “She is known as a change agent who has the judgment and experience to challenge the status quo, while centering the organization on high-value strategies.”
Freese Decker’s achievements during the past year include:
- Implementation of a $300 million transformation of care model and installation of Epic, an electronic clinical and revenue cycle platform;
- Reduction in the rise in expenses per adjusted admission within 1% of US Consumer Price Index in 2017;
- Consolidation of operational responsibilities across geographic regions, standardizing work and hardwiring careflows, resulting in a cost savings of nearly $1 million, with expected multi-million dollar cost savings in 2018;
- Continued implementation of MedNow digital platform to reduce hospital utilization and cost, increasing virtual visits by 355% over prior year. This 24/7, 365-day virtual health tool also is used to connect patients in rural areas with their specialists miles away, eliminating hours of travel and inconvenience;
- Addressing the social determinants of health with a focus on available food, affordable housing and reduced health disparities
- Improvement in employee and physician satisfaction through a concerted effort to engage, collaborate and create a culture of inclusivity.
Modern Healthcare notes that “Chief operating officers have a broad and diverse set of roles and responsibilities. Their job description varies based on the size and sector of the healthcare organization. Yet wherever COOs serve, they work in the complex business of healthcare and are responsible for delivering top results in quality, safety and efficiency, all with an eye on mission and margin. COOs also serve a broad range of constituencies, including governing board members, C-suite colleagues, the organization’s entire workforce and, of course, the patients.”
Spectrum Health, a not-for-profit, integrated health system, is committed to improving the health and wellness of our communities. We live our mission every day with 31,000 compassionate professionals, 4,200 medical staff experts, 3,200 committed volunteers and a health plan serving 1 million members. Our talented physicians and caregivers are privileged to offer a full continuum of care and wellness services to our communities through 14 hospitals, including Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital, 230 ambulatory sites and telehealth offerings. We pursue health care solutions for today and tomorrow that diversify our offerings. Locally-governed and based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, our health system provided $459 million in community benefit in the last fiscal year. Thanks to the generosity of our communities, we received $30 million in philanthropy in the most recent fiscal year to support research, academics, innovation and clinical care. Spectrum Health has been recognized as one of the nation’s 15 Top Health Systems by Truven Health Analytics®, part of IBM Watson HealthTM.